Any type of drug that is meant for human use has side effects. In fact, some medication have side effects that are more severe than the conditions they are intended to treat. Anabolic steroids, while they may have a number of recreational and medical uses, also have side effects. Before using these products, therefore, fitness enthusiasts should learn about these effects as well as how to mitigate them. The following are some of the most common side effects of anabolic steroids:
– Liver damage: The liver is one of the most important organs in the human body. Excessive use of anabolic steroids normally causes liver damage. As a result, your body will not be able to operate optimally.
– Kidney damage: The kidneys are responsible for maintaining balance of salts and sugars among other things. When your kidneys are damaged, you will not be able to live a normal life. You will need dialysis on a regular basis to manually regulate your salt, sugar and mineral levels.
– Heart disease: This is one of the top killers in the United States. When you have heart disease, you can get a stroke or heart attack without warning.
– Altered mood: Excessive use of anabolic steroids can alter your mood. You may experience increased aggressiveness, depression, irritability, suicidal tendencies and altered mood among other things.
– Hair Loss: While anabolic steroids are designed to mimic the effects of testosterone, which should lead to hair growth, users can experience significant hair loss when they abuse anabolic steroids.
As you can see, the side effects of anabolic steroids are quite serious. That is why users are advised to always follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. The following are some strategies that can help you contain or mitigate these side effects:
This is the process of using anabolic steroids for a given period, say 30 days, then stopping for, say two weeks, before starting another cycle. These breaks in-between cycles will help the body to reverse the side effects.
ii) Post-Cycle Therapy
Another strategy for reducing the side effects is going into therapy after every cycle. During therapy, there are special medication you can use to reverse the side effects. This will go a long way in ensuring you safely use steroids.